Alex Worker

Alex Worker
Co-Founder
My experience and deep interests:
I am based in: Hong Kong
THNK connection: THNKer , AMS Class 15

I'm a 33-year-old New Zealander born and living in Hong Kong. I’m married to a Panamanian, Elisa, and we’ve two young children, Andy and Sophia. Our household moves between spoken Chinese, English and Spanish. I’ve spent half my life in Asia, with the rest split between New Zealand and South America. Whilst I’m a proud Kiwi, we like to think of ourselves as inhabiting a global, connected Pacific village between Asia, Australasia and the Americas.

I’ve over ten years of corporate experience working for New Zealand’s largest company, a dairy co-operative called Fonterra owned by 10,500 New Zealand farmers. I’ve worked for Fonterra in New Zealand and China, with my latest role leading the global relationship with Starbucks focused on growth in the APAC region out of Shanghai and Hong Kong. To balance my corporate learning, I helped set up Hatchery – China’s first culinary incubator – in Beijing in 2015 as a co-founder. We have a team of 25 in Beijing focused on validating and growing the next great food idea in China. I’ve also a trading company, Highground Brands, which has been operating between China and New Zealand since 2013. I’m passionate about food and agriculture and how this connects to feeding cities sustainably over the coming generations, and plan to build on my experiences with new ventures and platforms focused on this intersect.

I’m passionate about connecting New Zealand more in Asia Pacific, and how China is changing the landscape for everybody in the 21st Century. As somebody interested in leadership, I’m hoping to learn more about conscious leadership and how real food conversations can positively impact both cities and the rural areas that support and feed the urban centers.

Between work and family, I like to run, travel, ski, explore food and wine, and play the occasional game of tennis and squash. We’ve a place in Queenstown, New Zealand and a Hatchery summerhouse in an old village up by the Great Wall of China near Beijing – and we like to head there with family to get lost on the Wall hiking during the shoulder summer seasons.

menu-close-white