Barbara Piper-Roelofs

Barbara Piper-Roelofs
Chief Heart Officer
My pronouns are: she/her/hers
I am based in: The Hague
THNK connection: Faculty
Let’s build a kinder world! My drive is to create awareness of the power of focus on personal wellbeing and cultivating the skills of self-compassion in workplace environments. I aim to bring the qualities of empathy, kindness, and compassion into our workplace interactions, establish compassionate cultures and promote wellbeing in our professional environments. I believe that directing your attention inward first calms and clears the mind and supports you to find root in and take responsibility for a compassionate response to the world around us.
Ever since I was a child, I wanted to bring sunshine and kindness to someone else’s day; to lift them up and show them how beautiful they are! For the longest time, I would face ridicule in this gentleness. Yet today, my work and vision has become relevant and welcome in many corporate environments. As a student of communication, the backdrop of my interest was always human suffering and how to alleviate this. Both my parents were affected by the second world war, and this shaped much of my outlook and historic interests. My father was an RAF soldier, and my mother is Dutch with a Jewish background. For the first decade+ of my professional life, my way of working was shaped by corporate environments. In 2009 I moved into health care management, as director of elderly care homes which brought a new dynamic to how I approach people and work. I am an ICF Certified Professional Coach, hold a MA in Communication Science and a Stanford trained Compassion Facilitator at Stanford University’s CCARE (The Center for Compassion and Altruism Research and Education).
Since I was a young child, I have travelled and lived in different places all over the world. Both with my parents and sister, by myself and with my husband Wouter and our two children Rosa and Morris.I look forward to working with you!