Jacqui Nelson

Jacqui Nelson
General Manager Operations
My experience and deep interests:
I am based in: Wellington
THNK connection: THNKer , AMS Class 17

I am fortunate to live in Aotearoa, New Zealand, the first country in the world to give women the vote in 1893.

As General Manager Operations for Contact Energy, I oversee all of the company’s Generation Operations. I manage Contact’s largest cost budget and provide strategic and operational leadership to my teams to optimize the performance of our generation assets and deliver ~80% of Contact’s earnings. I am passionate about seeking truly sustainable partnerships with stakeholders and take an intergenerational view on Contact’s activities and our impacts.

I’ve held a diverse range of roles connecting with different people and innovating, with experience in banking and finance, organizational change, operations, management, and governance. My approach has been to always be my authentic self, disarming any initial resistance to change.

My real passion lies in the people I connect with. I embrace the challenge of leading cultural change to create a safe, inclusive, and nurturing environment in which people are motivated to be their best selves and to add value. My purpose is to have a significant impact by helping and encouraging them to achieve amazing outcomes and to have fun doing it.

In leaning into this passion, I have learned much which I incorporate in all that I do. My work at Contact with our iwi partners, for example, has exposed me to their powerful and sensible cultural practices around stewardship of resources. The iwi ethos of guardianship – kaitiaki – a focus on what we're leaving for future generations is something we can all align behind and resonates loudly for me.

menu-close-white