Luma Shihabeldin

Luma Shihabeldin
Design Thinking | Creative Strategy
My experience and deep interests:
I am based in: Dubai
THNK connection: THNKer , AMS Class 09

I am a creative professional who applies a design thinking approach to problem solving in my work. I am currently bringing this approach to Brash Brands Dubai, as their Associate Creative Director. My career has been focused on challenging norms, transforming perceptions, and striving for impactful design systems that nurture growth and development for the better. I spend most of my spare time challenging myself with inversions, trying to find both transformation and balance.

I grew up shuttling between California, where I was born, and Kuwait, where I am from. This instilled in me a deep understanding of Eastern and Western cultures and nuances. This appreciation is evident in both my work and aspirations, while making me culturally ambiguous in my interactions.

After graduating from high school in Cairo, Egypt, I went to the American University of Beirut in Lebanon to try and find as close an experience as my mother’s Palestinian upbringing, while pursuing an undergraduate degree in Political Science. Once there, I became jaded by the reality of the history and politics of the region and more intrigued by the power of design and the fundamental impact it has on society and development.

Formally trained as a graphic designer, I apply the construct that design increasingly influences our interconnected world, shaping perspectives and shifting cultures. My work places an emphasis on establishing a sense of purpose and process. After 7 years of New York enrichment, I moved back to the Middle East to be a part of the creative development of the region at an exciting time.

Having worked for Siegel+Gale, Wolff Olins and Landor, my clients cross a wide range of industries including Qatar Museums Authority, Emaar, Abdul Latif Jamil, Aldar, Majid AL-Futtaim, Comcast, Aramco and Sony just to mention a few.